There is lots of material available on floatation and its effectiveness in a range of applications (particularly in sports and medicine). Here are a few floatation research publications that reveal some surprising results.
All clinical trials have been conducted by eminent scholars in their respective fields, running control experiments at the same time to ensure the accuracy of the results. In every instance, subjects who used the floatation tank prior to the tests showed vastly superior results to those who did not.
Michael Hutchison's definitive Book of floating is widely accepted as the best book ever written on the subject; we always have copies in stock. If you'd like any information on a specific area, feel free to contact us. We should be able to point you in the right direction!
Restricted environmental stimulation (REST) research
The International REST Investigators Society (IRIS) was founded in 1982. Its aims are to:
- give REST researchers a platform for sharing their research findings
- provide a communication network for REST researchers and those interested in REST
- organise an international REST conference every three years.
Research papers presented at these conferences have also been published in books. They have covered research topics such as the effects of floating on:
- the enhancement of creativity
- the enhancement of sporting performance
- stress management
- biological effects
- psycho physiological effects
- skin disease
- the treatment of habit disorders
- the treatment of physical and psychological disorders, such as anxiety
- children with autism
- pre-menstrual syndrome (PMS)
- chronic pain
- rheumatoid arthritis.
For information on certain topics concerning the effects of floating, contact IRIS for the relevant research documents.
REST research literature
- The book of floating: Exploring the private sea (1984, reprinted 2003), M Hutchison, Gateway Books, Nevada City, California -- Buy this book online!
- Clinical and experimental restricted environmental stimulation: New developments and perspectives (1993), AF Barabasz/M Barabasz, (based on the 4th International Conference on REST), Springer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Restricted environmental stimulation: Research and commentary (1990), TH Fine/JW Turner (based on the 3rd International Conference on REST) Medical College of Ohio Press, Toledo, Ohio
- Second international conference on REST (1985), TH Fine/JW Turner, IRIS Publications, Toledo, Ohio
- First international conference on REST and self-regulation (1983), TH Fine/JW Turner, IRIS Publications, Toledo, Ohio